Finding the right hosting service for your website can be an overwhelming task due to the number of options available. With Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Server Hosting, etc. claiming to be the best for your site, picking the right one can be a challenge. Today, we are going to talk about Dedicated Server Hosting services and highlight the difference between Managed and Unmanaged Dedicated Server Hosting plans. This should give you a good idea of the pros and cons of the two and help you choose the Best Dedicated Server plan for your site.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
In Dedicated Server Hosting, your website is stored on a single web server dedicated to you. The entire server, software, and applications are for your use only. It offers many benefits over other hosting services that share the resources in some way or another. With a Dedicated Server, you are in complete control of the hosting environment and the server’s resources.
When you host your website, there are several site management tasks that you’re your attention every day. You can either manage them yourself or opt for a managed services plan. Once you decide to migrate your website to a Dedicated Server, you also need to decide if you want managed or unmanaged services on the Dedicated Server. Here are some pros and cons of managed and unmanaged services to help you make a decision:
Unmanaged Dedicated Server Hosting
- Lower upfront costs since no server management tasks are included.
- You need to manage the webserver yourself or with the help of a team of technical experts in server management.
- In unmanaged services, the web host will only ensure that the hardware is functioning optimally.
- Also, hiring a team can have its hiccups since you will need someone on task every day and ensure that the site’s services are not interrupted due to manpower issues.
- You need to make decisions about security tools and measures, access rights, applications and software to be installed, etc.
- You will have to troubleshoot most problems yourself or with the help of your team (unless it is a hardware-related issue).
- You have unrestricted control over the hosting environment.
Managed Dedicated Server Hosting
- The hosting provider takes care of all the server management tasks on your behalf.
- Most managed plans include server monitoring and management, security management, regular backups, updates, etc.
- The host provides an account manager who can help you troubleshoot any glitches that might be hindering the performance of your site.
- While managed services are costlier than unmanaged services, they are more cost-efficient since you do not have recurring manpower costs. Also, you save a lot of time that you would otherwise spend managing the server.
- With Managed Dedicated Server Hosting, you can focus on establishing and growing your site without worrying about the technical aspects of hosting.
Hence, in simpler words, unmanaged services are ideal for those seeking complete control over their Dedicated Servers and have the technical knowledge or an in-house team for the same. On the other hand, Managed Dedicated Server Hosting plans are better suited to businesses that want to benefit from the features of a Dedicated Server but do not want to put their hands into server management. Before you decide, think about what your site needs and choose accordingly. Good Luck!